Jerk Chicken Egg Rolls with Mango-Habanero Sauce
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 252
Original recipe yields 18 servings
- Combine mango with 3/4 cup water, rice vinegar, garlic, and salt in small saucepan. Add most of the brown sugar, reserving 1 teaspoon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes. Add habanero peppers and simmer on low for 2 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoon water with cornstarch; stir slurry into the pan. Cook over medium-high until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Leave mixture chunky or blend for a smoother texture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and saute until browned, 5 to 7 minutes; sprinkle jerk seasoning over chicken. Add shallot and garlic; cook and stir until shallot begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add cabbage, carrots, and reserved sugar. Cook until cabbage is translucent but still a little crunchy, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Let mixture cool.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Fry plantains until they start to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer plantains onto a paper towel and let cool.
- Separate and place egg roll wrappers onto your work surface. Mix egg with water for the egg wash.
- Lay out one wrapper with a corner pointed toward you. Use a slotted spoon to add some of the chicken and cabbage mixtures across the center. Sprinkle plantain bits on top. Use your finger or a pastry brush to lightly moisten edges of wonton wrappers with egg wash. Fold one corner of the wrapper over the filling onto the opposite corner to form a triangle. Press edges together to seal. Fill and fold remaining egg rolls.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry egg rolls in batches in the hot oil, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels or rack. Serve with the mango-habanero sauce.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute chicken thighs with 2 pounds ground chicken if desired. If you're using ground chicken, brown chicken then add seasoning toward the end. Use a generous amount and add additional salt to taste.
- If you don't have premade jerk seasoning just combine allspice, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, onion powder, and garlic powder to get 1 tablespoon.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 252 calories; 8.3 34.9 10.6 35 294 Full nutrition