Eggnog Poke Cake
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 352
Original recipe yields 16 servings (1 tall 9-inch cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease or line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Pour in 1/2 of the cream and 1/2 of the spiced rum and mix until just combined. Continue alternating adding the flour mixture, cream, and spiced rum until combined. Do not overmix. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan before removing to a serving platter.
- While cake is baking, make the eggnog sauce. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a small bowl. Mix in flour, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and salt; mixture will be very thick.
- Combine milk and eggnog in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until just barely simmering. Slowly pour 1/2 of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the milk and eggnog; whisk to combine. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce through a fine-mesh sieve into a heat-safe bowl. Let cool slightly, then place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the sauce to prevent a skin from forming.
- While cake is still very warm, poke holes all over using the handle of a wooden spoon. Slowly pour eggnog sauce over cake and let soak in, spreading sauce over the cake with a spatula if necessary. Allow to cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Make eggnog whipped cream just before serving. Beat cream, eggnog, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt together on high speed in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Place several dollops of whipped cream on the completely cooled cake. Top with freshly grated nutmeg.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Some of the sauce will sit on top of the cake and not soak in. This makes for a nice topping, if desired.
- This cake tastes better slightly cold. Do not put the whipped cream on until ready to serve.
Per Serving: 352 calories; 18.4 37.1 5.6 147 272 Full nutrition