Light Strawberry Layer Cake
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 531
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9-inch layer cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line three 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Beat cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour 1/3 of the batter into one of the prepared pans. Mix 1/2 of the strawberry-flavored gelatin and 2 teaspoons strawberry extract into the remaining batter. Divide between the remaining 2 pans.
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Line a large wire rack with parchment paper. Invert cakes onto the rack; let cool completely.
- Set aside 9 to 12 whole strawberries for decoration. Chop remaining strawberries and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Beat cream cheese with the remaining strawberry-flavored gelatin. Add remaining 2 teaspoons strawberry extract and confectioners' sugar; beat until filling is smooth. Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Place 1 pink layer on a cake plate. Cover with 1/2 of the strawberry filling. Add the plain cake layer. Cover with remaining strawberry filling and position second pink layer on top.
- Make frosting by beating heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract together until dense enough to spread. Spread frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the cake. Run spatula over the paper to smooth the top. Peel off the paper.
- Pipe 9 to 12 swirls of frosting around the rim of the cake; place whole strawberries on top.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Use mascarpone cheese or heavy cream instead of cream cheese in the strawberry filling if preferred.
- For a richer cream cheese frosting, beat together 2 sticks room-temperature butter, 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, and 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract. Add more sugar to taste.
- Editor's Note:
- The directions for making the cake are based on the particular brand mentioned. Follow instructions on the box if using a different brand.
Per Serving: 531 calories; 35.4 48.1 6 116 355 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1