Grandma Myrna's Honey-Walnut Brittle
"After several failed attempts at making homemade brittle, I finally got some sense and called my Grandma Myrna! She gave me this recipe for brittle made in the microwave, and I had instant success! The best tips she gave were to 'work quickly, have everything pre-measured out, and for goodness' sake, don't burn yourself!'"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients30 m servings 136
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Grease a large baking sheet with butter.
- Mix sugar and honey together in a large microwave-safe glass bowl; mixture will be very thick. Place in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute. Stir, and cook 1 minute more. Stir mixture again, and cook until mixture boils and sugar is dissolved, an additional 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Stir walnuts into the bowl with the sugar mixture. Heat in the microwave another 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butter, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Microwave until mixture is caramel in color, an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove bowl from microwave, and quickly stir in baking soda until incorporated. Immediately pour mixture onto the buttered cookie sheet. Allow to cool until brittle is set, about 15 minutes. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- The cook times for this recipe are based on a 1200-watt microwave. You may have to add or subtract time depending on the wattage of your microwave.
Per Serving: 136 calories; 5.5 22.3 1.2 2 132 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1