Chewy Sunflower Butter Cookies
"I live in a peanut-free building, but sometimes I just need a peanut butter cookie. I was wracking my brain as to how to get this taste one day, and I came up with these. They more than fit the bill and I think that instead of craving peanut butter cookies, I'll be craving these from now on instead. The cookie vultures will wait around your cooling racks in droves - I know I had a couple! Total crowd pleaser and totally peanut free!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings 125
Original recipe yields 50 servings (50 cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Combine shortening, sunflower seed butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until light and airy. Add eggs one at a time and continue beating on medium speed until very light.
- Sift flour, baking soda, ground ginger, and salt into a separate bowl. Mix well. Stir in candied ginger, chocolate, and sunflower seeds.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the creamed shortening mixture, stirring gently until combined. Do not overmix. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookies appear set, 8 to 10 minutes. Do not wait for the edges to brown. Cool on the cookie sheets for 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- The cookies will not seem done when you take them out. Do not worry about this. They will firm up while cooling on the pan. If you bake them too long, they will not be chewy.
Per Serving: 125 calories; 7.8 12.4 2.1 8 33 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1