Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 362
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Generously season beef with salt and pepper.
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil and tilt the pot to distribute the oil evenly. Once oil shimmers, add 1/2 the beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer browned beef to a bowl and repeat with remaining beef.
- Heat another tablespoon oil in the Instant Pot(R); when oil shimmers, add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until slightly brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms to the bowl with the beef. Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to the pot and cook carrots, onions, and celery until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in wine to deglaze the pot, scraping up any browned bits, and cook until wine has almost evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Return browned beef and mushrooms to the pot. Stir in barley, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, bouillon base, red pepper flakes, and beef broth. Stir until well combined.
- Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 30 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- The barley will be al dente.
Per Serving: 362 calories; 18.1 25.8 20.1 42 344 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
As always, 5 stars from this recipe submitter. Loved the chili flakes! I did end up adding another 1/3 cup barley after turning it off. The only barley I have in my area is quick cooking barley ...