Whole Wheat Apple Cake
5 made it | 0 reviews |
"This is a delicious cake enriched with fresh fruit and lusciously spiced. It tastes better the next day when the flavors really come together and the tartness of the apples settles. It is worth warming slightly before serving. Adding allspice takes away the slightly bitter taste of the whole wheat flour. Happy baking!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 273
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9x13-inch cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Beat eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Mix whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and ginger together in a separate bowl.
- Mash bananas in a small bowl until creamy. Add to the egg mixture and beat well. Add flour mixture and beat well. Add walnuts, cranberries, and raisins; mix again. Add apple chunks and mix with a spatula until coated with batter.
- Scoop batter into the prepared pan and pat down with the spatula, filling in any gaps. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar on top for a rich finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- I use coconut oil, but you can substitute extra-virgin olive oil or melted unsalted butter.
- If you do not have turbinado sugar, substitute other loosely granulated brown sugar.
Per Serving: 273 calories; 8.5 48.4 5.5 46 108 Full nutrition