Lemon Gingersnap Posset
Ingredients4 h 39 m servings 652
- Place gingersnap crumbs in a bowl and pour in melted butter. Mix until crumbs are well moistened. Transfer a few tablespoons of the crumbs into 4 small glasses; tamp down to compress into a crust. Chill crusts until firm.
- Grate lemons to get 1 heaping tablespoon of zest. Squeeze 1/4 cup juice into a bowl.
- Pour heavy cream into a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add sugar and set heat to medium-high. Mix and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium; adjust as needed to maintain a gentle bubble. Cook, stirring occasionally, for exactly 9 minutes. Watch to make sure cream does not boil over. Remove from heat and stir once more.
- Add lemon zest and juice to the cream and whisk until well combined; mixture will thicken slightly. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Set a sieve over a glass measuring cup, or any container suitable for pouring. Strain lemon-cream mixture through the sieve, ending up with about 2 cups. Pour mixture carefully over the chilled crusts. Place glasses on a tray and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until set, 4 hours to overnight.
- Chef's Note:
- The first time I ever had this it was done with lime and graham cracker crumbs, and was equally stellar, so feel free to try both lemon and lime and use any crunchy cookie crumbs you like.
Per Serving: 652 calories; 50.7 51.8 3.6 174 131 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
It's wonderful to have such a super simple recipe for a quick, flexible dessert with broad appeal. I made mine with regular honey graham crackers and lemons. Chef John was right, it took exact...
We liked this and will definitely make it again, though we will probably sub graham cracker for ginger snaps in the future since our family is not a huge fan of ginger snaps.