Mum-Mum's Butterscotch Pie
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 5 m servings 372
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Combine milk, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of the filling mixture and slowly whisk into beaten egg yolks to temper them. Pour mixture back into the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until thickened to a pudding-like consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla extract until well mixed.
- Cover filling and allow to cool completely, stirring occasionally. Place in an ice bath to speed up the cooling, if desired. Pour mixture into pie crust and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together in the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric mixer, until soft peaks start to form. Add sugar gradually, continuing to beat until peaks turn stiff and meringue is glossy.
- Cover the pie filling with peaks of meringue, making sure to cover all the filling to the edges of the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until meringue peaks are browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack, about 1 hour. Transfer to the fridge to cool completely, about 4 hours.
You might also like
Per Serving: 372 calories; 17.2 49.4 5.8 98 217 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1