Instant Pot® Cuban-Style Black Beans
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 234
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)) and select Saute function. Add chopped bacon and cook until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add onion and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more. Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds.
- Add water, chicken broth, dried beans, vinegar, sazon, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir. Close and lock the lid, select Manual function, and set timer for 40 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Stir beans and remove bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve beans with a wedge of fresh lime and garnish with cilantro.
- Cook's Note:
- Sazon can be found in the Hispanic section of your supermarket; there is also a recipe for it on this site. I think it adds extra flavor to the beans, but if you can't find it, the beans still will be good.
- If you find the consistency too soupy, just turn to Saute and cook the liquid down for a few minutes to your preference.
Per Serving: 234 calories; 2.6 39.9 14.4 6 1291 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
1.12.19 This comment is in response to Teresa Rojas’ review on 1.11.19. I’m the submitter of this recipe, I live in Florida which has a large Cuban population and MANY Cuban restaurants. Alth...
I've made them before and the Goya seasoning is not an optional ingredient, that gives it a wonderful taste.
I made this in my crock pot instead of an instant pot. Same recipe, I just cooked it on low all day. I used a packet of Sazon, like the recipe called for. The beans were very tasty, but kind ...