Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h servings 373
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Core cabbage from the bottom, being careful not to split the head, to keep leaves whole.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Carefully submerge the cored cabbage into the water, cover, and boil for 8 minutes.
- Carefully remove cabbage from water. Use tongs and a spatula to gently separate outer leaves and lay them on a clean plate. Continue removing leaves; when leaves resist removal, return cabbage head to boiling water. Cook another 6 to 8 minutes. Repeat procedure until leaves are less than 4 inches in size. Chop remaining cabbage and set aside. Drain water from the pot and return it to the stove.
- Add butter to the pot and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add ketchup, vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, marjoram, onion powder, and salt. Bring to a light boil, about 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes. Cover and simmer sauce until needed.
- Combine ground beef, 1 cup cooked white rice, eggs, black pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl. Use hands to mix filling well.
- Place a rack inside a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)). Add 1 cup water.
- Meanwhile, assemble cabbage rolls on a clean cutting board. Lay 1 cabbage leave with stem facing you and outer surface of leaf facing down. For larger leaves, place 2 tablespoons meat filling on the leaf. Roll up to center first, tuck in left and right sides, and continue rolling to completely enclose filling. Place rolls, seam-side down, in a single layer on the rack in the Instant Pot(R). Cover layer with 1/2 to 1 cup of sauce. Create another layer of rolls and cover with sauce. Repeat to within 1 inch of the top of the Instant Pot(R); if you have excess rolls, cook another batch separately.
- Close and lock the lid. Set the vent to sealing and select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 18 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions for 15 minutes. Release remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Carefully remove rolls from the pot using tongs and transfer to a casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil. Remove wire rack from pot. Turn Instant Pot(R) to saute mode.
- Stir cornstarch and water together in a bowl. Stir mixture into the sauce using a spatula; keep stirring until sauce has thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour sauce over rolls in the casserole dish and serve hot.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute 1/2 pound ground pork or veal for 1/2 pound of beef.
- You can use 1 to 2 drops of Doterra® brand marjoram oil for dried marjoram (but do not use other essential oil brands).
- For a thicker sauce, add another tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water.
Per Serving: 373 calories; 16.4 32.7 24.1 113 371 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1