Ingredients1 d 2 h 25 m servings 401
- Put raisins, golden raisins, cranberries, and cherries in a bowl. Pour rum and orange juice over the dried fruit. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter a loaf pan.
- Whisk brown rice flour, almond meal, potato and tapioca starches, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, and ginger together in a bowl. Set aside 3 tablespoons of this mixture. Add baking powder to the larger portion; mix well.
- Combine orange zest, dates, figs, and 1/4 cup candied fruit in a bowl. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of the reserved flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until creamy. Mix in vanilla. Add eggs one by one, beating after each addition. Mix in applesauce.
- Drain the dried fruit, reserving the soaking liquid. Add drained fruit to the fig mixture and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon reserved flour mixture.
- Mix soaking liquid into the butter mixture. Gradually add flour, stirring just until combined; do not overmix. Fold in hazelnuts, walnut halves, and pecan halves.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Decorate the top with almonds and candied fruit slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 290 degrees F (145 degrees C). Continue baking until browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pan. Brush cherry brandy on top. Let cake rest 24 hours for best results.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use 1 cup of any mixed dried fruits you like (raisins, sultans, cranberries, goji berries, cherries, etc.)
- Use 3/4 cup of any raw, unsalted nuts you like (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, etc.)
- Many gluten-free mixes contain high percentages of starches and additives that can make the cake gummy. Therefore, I have chosen the flours to ensure a dense cake that isn't gritty or gummy.
Per Serving: 401 calories; 20.4 45 5.1 58 133 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Turned out great! The number of ingredients and steps seems daunting, but it’s actually quite simple. Our cake was very moist and flavourful.!
I have been craving fruit cake for a long time and decided this recipe sounded good even though there were only 2 reviews posted. Just had my first slice of "heaven" - it is moist and deliciou...