Dark Chocolate Ice Cream with Caramelized Almonds and Toasted Marshmallows
7 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h servings 380
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 quart)
- Place dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and salt in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir frequently, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix sugar and milk powder together in a small bowl.
- Place 1 3/4 cups milk and cream in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking occasionally, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Whisk the sugar mixture into the pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes, whisking to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.
- Mix 2 tablespoons milk and tapioca together into a small bowl. Whisk into the hot dairy mixture.
- Whisk 1/3 of the dairy mixture into the bowl of melted chocolate. Repeat twice more, whisking well until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Strain mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours, or preferably overnight. Make caramelized almonds and toasted marshmallows before churning the ice cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
- Toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar, milk, and salt in the skillet. Stir until melted together and smooth. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Pour onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely before breaking up into uneven pieces.
- While almonds are cooling, spread marshmallows out on the second baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops are lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Churn ice cream according to manufacturer's instructions until it reaches a soft-serve consistency, about 20 minutes. Layer ice cream, almonds, and marshmallows in a freezer-safe container. Freeze until firm enough to scoop, at least 4 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Straining the base is optional, but ensures the smoothest texture possible.
Per Serving: 380 calories; 22.6 41 6.1 46 298 Full nutrition