Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 40 m servings 380
Original recipe yields 12 servings (3 pounds of beef)
- Combine lemongrass, garlic, chiles, ginger, and lime zest in a food processor. Process until a fine paste forms.
- Place beef in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook beef, turning occasionally, until browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate.
- Cook lemongrass paste in the same Dutch oven stirring often, until beginning to soften, 5 to 8 minutes. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, fish sauce, browned beef and any juices, and 10 cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer stew, partially covered and skimming occasionally, until beef is tender and liquid is slightly thickened, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place coconut flakes on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Toast coconut in the preheated oven, tossing occasionally, until golden around the edges, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add carrots and shallots to the stew. Continue cooking, partially covered, until vegetables are soft and beef is falling apart, 35 to 45 minutes more. Stir in green onions.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook rice noodles in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender yet firm to the bite, 5 to 7 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Divide cooked noodles into individual bowls and ladle stew on top. Top with toasted coconut and serve with lime wedges.
You might also like
Per Serving: 380 calories; 20.3 34.1 16.4 52 826 Full nutrition