Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 41
Original recipe yields 48 servings (48 cookies)
- Mix all-purpose flour, pastry flour, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and black pepper together in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine molasses, sugar, and maple syrup in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly to dissolve and remove from heat when a small foam rises to the surface, about 3 minutes. Continue stirring and allow to cool slightly; add butter and let cool to room temperature. Add egg.
- Pour molasses mixture into flour mixture in the bowl and mix until crumbles hold together when pressed. Knead for 2 minutes, focusing on any dry bits. Form into a flat log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut dough log into small sections and allow to warm up slightly before rolling out between 2 layers of parchment paper to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut shapes with a floured cookie cutter or pastry wheel. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 12 minutes; remove cookies before they brown. Cool on a rack.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can use brown sugar in place of molasses.
- Keeps in a tin for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for longer storage.
- Tested substitutions include using 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; nutmeg, cardamom, or pumpkin pie spice for cinnamon; 1/4 cup maple syrup for molasses; and even adding a dash of cayenne if you really like a kick!
Per Serving: 41 calories; 1.1 7.2 0.7 6 34 Full nutrition