German Breaded Plum Dumplings
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"If you like German plum dumplings (Zwetschgenknodel), you can take it up a notch and bread and fry them after cooking. Delicious!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 433
Original recipe yields 6 servings (6 dumplings)
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain. Peel as soon as they are cool enough to handle and push through a potato ricer or mash with a potato masher in a bowl. Set aside to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, flour, 1 egg, and salt in a bowl and mix into a smooth dough. Shape into a 3-inch log and cut into 3/4 -inch slices.
- Stuff each pitted Italian plums with 1 sugar cube. Wrap potato dough slices around the stuffed plums so they are completely covered; shape with floured hands into round dumplings.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Submerge dumplings in the water, reduce heat, and simmer on very low heat for 15 minutes. Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Lightly beat 2 eggs and place in a deep plate. Add bread crumbs to a second plate. Coat each boiled dumpling in beaten egg and dredge through the bread crumbs. Gently push bread crumbs into dumplings so they stick.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat and pan-fry dumplings until they are golden brown on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with cinnamon sugar.
You might also like
Per Serving: 433 calories; 14.3 68.1 10.4 120 201 Full nutrition