Chef John's Apple Butter
Ingredients10 h 15 m servings 82
- Place apple pieces into a large slow cooker. Add white sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and vinegar. Add a splash of water and mix well.
- Cover and cook on High until apples are starting to soften and release liquid, 1 to 2 hours. Reduce heat to Low and cook, uncovered, until all the apple flesh is dissolved, 5 to 6 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Puree using an immersion blender until smooth. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until darkened and thick, about 4 hours more. Pass apple butter through a strainer if desired. Seal in a glass container and refrigerate until cool.
- Chef's Notes:
- Any classic cooking apple should work in this recipe.
- If you don't have a slow cooker you can certainly do it on top of the stove over low heat, as long as you use a nice thick-bottomed pot, and stir often. Another option would be to place the mixture in a large roasting pan, and cook it in a slow oven, stirring occasionally until dark and thick.
- See my recipe for Irish Cheddar Spring Onion Biscuits.
Per Serving: 82 calories; 0 21.8 0.2 0 75 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 14
It was well worth the wait & time. Thank you Chef John.
I love Chef John's recipes, usually. This recipe - I hated. Weird with the apple cider vinegar. My boyfriend hated it too. For as long as it took, I was expecting something great. No where ...
Used this recipe because it seemed pretty close to what I used to make. The apple butter was very good and not as sweet as other apple butters. Definitely try to use Granny Smith's as indicated ...
SUPER easy! This was my 1st time doing ANY of this kind of thing. Cooked all day, made my house smell amazing. Im jarring for the future right now, it made 7, 8oz jars of apple butter, flavor it...
I’ve made this twice, and reduced the vinegar by half based on other reviews. It’s amazing! The first time I chose not to strain it, the second time I did, and it made it smoother. Because you d...
My house was filled with the scent of apples, and spice lovely! Truly a pleasure to make, stir and create Christmas canned presents!
Excellent and well worth the time. I need to reduce amount of apples since I have a small slow cooker. Mine will only take 1-1 !/2 pounds of apples.
I used Gala apples but tasted before hand so I could decide about the sugar amount. I decided one cup would be plenty and it was. I cut the salt down to 1/4 teaspoon and omitted the allspice as ...