My Big Fat Greek Salad
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 352
- Peel off a few strips of cucumber skin using a channel knife, creating a striped pattern. Cut cucumbers in half crosswise. Cut each half into quarters before cutting into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Place into a colander; toss with some kosher salt and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut cherry tomatoes in half. Rinse cucumbers; drain thoroughly for 10 to 15 minutes more.
- While cucumbers are draining, slice onion thinly. Cut bell pepper into strips. Turn knife diagonally and cut strips into diamond-shaped pieces. Slice Kalamata and green olives.
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, olives, and 2 tablespoons oregano in a bowl. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Sprinkle in vinegar and toss thoroughly. Drizzle in olive oil. Add about 2/3 of the feta cheese and toss again. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Give the salad another mix. Taste and season as desired. Scatter remaining feta cheese on top and garnish with remaining oregano.
- Chef's Notes:
- If you need to make this the day before, I suggest making the dressing separately, and then mixing everything before the event. I think this should only be dressed about 30 to 60 minutes before service for maximum enjoyment, but that's just my approach, and some folks prefer an overnight marination.
- Use 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano if you don't have the fresh kind.
- Between 4 and 6 ounces of feta cheese work well here.
Per Serving: 352 calories; 31.8 12.9 6.3 25 1250 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 27
Deceptively simple and--Delicious! The two key instructions made all the difference. 1. Salting and draining the cucumbers to get a note of crispness and lose the slight bitterness is a game-c...
Made it as written. Delicious. Served with toasted pita bread. Got better over a day or two.more flavor after it was in fridge a day. Salting the cucumbers and rinsing them after 15 mins made a...
Fabulous salad. A little different from my usual effort and I think I will stick with this one. I made 2 differences - I had to add 1 clove of Russian garlic only because I love garlic and I u...
Wow! This is one delicious salad!!! Even my skeptical, meat and potato loving husband thought it was really good. I mistakenly used a can of sliced black olives with jalapeno peppers and in m...
Wonderful Greek salad recipe. Made it as stated with the exception of the green olives. Mine had pimentos in them. I could have taken them out, but didn't.
This is an excellent salad! I didn't miss the lettuce, either. For the olives, I had a jar of Greek medley marinated olives, so I went with that, and they had delicious Greek flavors. This was n...
Super yummy! Husband raved about it. Added cooked chicken breast to it the next day for lunch - even better!
I loved it. I also soaked the onions as I have trouble with the rawness of them. I would soak both for 15 minutes next time and let dry longer.