Autumn Apple Slab Pie
26 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 403
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Combine flour, butter, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir water and vinegar together in a bowl.
- Pour 1/2 the water mixture into the flour mixture in the food processor. Pulse to combine. Pour in remaining water mixture and pulse until dough just starts to come together but is still crumbly.
- Turn dough out onto a wooden surface. Pat into a round shape and cut into 3 equal pieces. Form each into a disc about 5 inches wide, wrap each in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toss apples and lemon juice together in a bowl. Sprinkle flour over apples and toss to coat. Gently mix in brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice until apples are thoroughly coated. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Flour a work surface and roll out 2 of the 3 dough pieces into a rectangle about 12x18 inches in size and about 1/4-inch thick. Gently place crust into a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan and press dough into corners. Trim excess dough so there is only 1 inch of overhang on all sides. Gently fold overhanging dough underneath itself and crimp along all edges of the pan. Use a fork to poke indentations sporadically in the bottom of the crust to prevent bubbling.
- Pour filling into the crust and spread out evenly.
- Roll out remaining dough piece on a floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Use decorative cookie cutters to cut out several pieces of pie dough and place cut-outs on top of filling in a pattern.
- Beat egg and water together in a bowl. Gently brush egg wash over the edges of the pie crust and on the pie crust cut-outs.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown and apples are soft when gently pierced with a knife, 55 to 65 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving, about 30 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Paula Red apples are a sweet-tart, semi-soft apple. Feel free to substitute another firm apple of your choice, but adjust the sugar according to the apple's tartness.
- I used 1 1/2 times Chef John's "Easy Homemade Pie Crust" recipe from this site.
Per Serving: 403 calories; 20.5 53.2 4.9 57 194 Full nutrition