Grilled German Potato Salad
"The usually undercooked potatoes and lack of mayo characteristic of German potato salad have usually hindered my appreciation for this dish. So in my version, the potatoes are grilled over some smoky coals until tender. Best enjoyed warm, or at least room temp, this is the perfect addition to a sunny picnic table."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 184
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Preheat a grill for 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Add potatoes. Grill, flipping occasionally, until potatoes are barely just tender when poked with a skewer, about 15 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until grease becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. Remove half the bacon with a slotted spoon; reserve for the topping. Add onion to the rest of the bacon in the pan; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes. Cut into quarters, then into 1/2-inch slices. Place in a bowl.
- Stir sugar, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and vinegar in with the bacon. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Stir and remove dressing from heat.
- Pour dressing over the potatoes; toss to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes. Mix again and add parsley. Top with reserved bacon. Enjoy warm.
You might also like
- Chef's Note:
- I use a ton of bacon in my version, because it's bacon, but if you do decide to use less, you'll have to add some vegetable or olive oil to the dressing to make up the difference. If you want your dressing tangier, add more vinegar, but if you want it less so, you'll have to adjust with vegetable oil, since you can't add more bacon fat.
Per Serving: 184 calories; 4.1 30.9 6.7 10 706 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I boiled the potatoes whole instead of grilling them. Too hot for the grill today. My husband loved it. He knows his German potato salad.