Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions, about 8 minutes.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in Almond Breeze almondmilk and stock and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Stir in mustard, onion powder, and garlic salt.
- Add cheese a little at a time, cooking and stirring until melted before adding more. Season with pepper. Drain macaroni well and stir in. Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- For Sausage and Pepper topping: Cook sausage and onion in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until sausage is browned and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and thyme; cook and stir for 2 minutes more to soften peppers. Serve over hot Weeknight Mac and Cheese.
- For Riced Veggie and Bacon topping: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bacon and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in riced veggies; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes to soften. Season with garlic salt. Serve over hot Weeknight Mac and Cheese.
- For Pepperoni and Veggie Pizza topping: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepperoni and cook until both are lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes to soften. Stir in olives, if desired. Spoon over hot Weeknight Mac and Cheese.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use buttery spread instead of butter, non-dairy cheese instead of Cheddar cheese, chicken stock instead of broth, and/or vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
- Make-ahead tip: Cook macaroni noodles and prepare sauce but store each separately in tightly sealed containers in the refrigerator. Before serving, combine the two and heat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot. The sauce may thicken once refrigerated, so add additional Breeze as needed to thin.
- Instant Pot® Method: Omit flour. Reduce stock or broth to 3/4 cup. Set aside 1/2 cup Almond Breeze almondmilk and the cheese. Stir together remaining ingredients in an Instant Pot®. Cover and set pressure to high for 4 minutes. When cooking is done, let stand for 10 minutes before releasing pressure. Stir in reserved Breeze and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Nutritional Analysis per Serving of Mac and Cheese: Calories 330 Total Fat 19g Cholesterol 50mg Sodium 530mg Potassium 154mg Total Carbohydrate 24g Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 1g Protein 14g
- Nutritional Analysis per Serving of Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Pepper Topping: Calories 370 Total Fat 20g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 670mg Potassium 218mg Total Carbohydrate 28g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 2g Protein 17g
- Nutritional Analysis per Serving of Mac and Cheese with Riced Veggie and Bacon Topping: Calories 360 Total Fat 20g Cholesterol 55mg Sodium 750mg Potassium 173mg Total Carbohydrate 26g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 2g Protein 18g
- Nutritional Analysis per Serving of Mac and Cheese with Pepperoni and Veggie Topping: Calories 540 Total Fat 30g Cholesterol 140mg Sodium 1920mg Potassium 529mg Total Carbohydrate 29g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 2g Protein 38g