Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 366
Original recipe yields 12 servings (2 9x13-inch baking dishes)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add onions and cook slowly until moisture has evaporated but onions are not dark brown, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and bacon. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until meat is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour wine into the skillet and cook until evaporated, 1 to 3 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Fill tomato paste can with water and pour in. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook sauce, uncovered, until oil no longer appears on the surface, about 30 minutes. Add sugar and salt; cook and stir until dissolved, about 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the rotini pasta at a boil for about 5 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water. Return pasta to the pot and add a splash of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x13-inch baking dishes.
- Add about 1 cup sauce and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese to the pot with the cooked pasta.
- Spoon a thin layer of pasta into each prepared baking dish. Top each with a thin layer of provolone and mozzarella cheeses. Add sauce. Repeat layers with remaining pasta, cheeses, and sauce; finish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until hot and melted, 30 to 45 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Feel free to use any pasta shape you prefer.
- You can substitute veal or pork for the ground beef, if you like. You can also add some chopped ham, salami, or other cooked meat when layering.
Per Serving: 366 calories; 12.5 41.8 19.2 37 689 Full nutrition