Spanakopita with Halloumi
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Spanakopita is a Cypriot spinach pie and essentially spinach pie from scratch. I've learned how to make it from my mother-in-law, and I am constantly asked by friends and family for the recipe whenever someone new tries it. It takes some time to make, but please don't be discouraged - once you've tried it, you will not regret."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 55 m servings 732
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add oil, egg, and yogurt. Add milk gradually until a smooth, pliable dough forms that does not stick. Form into a ball, cover in plastic wrap, and place dough in the refrigerator to rest for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Oil a glass baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add spinach and cook for 1 minute. Drain and let cool.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until transparent, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Chop cooled spinach and combine with onion in a bowl. Add feta cheese, Cheddar cheese, then halloumi cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add eggs.
- Take dough from refrigerator and knead on a clean surface. Divide into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger piece of dough to cover bottom and sides of the prepared baking dish, using your hands to stretch the dough.
- Spread filling into dough-lined baking dish. Roll out remaining dough to fit and place on top of filling. Pinch sides to enclose filling. Cut a cross on top and brush lightly with milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden on top and risen, about 45 minutes.
You might also like
Per Serving: 732 calories; 43.9 59.7 25.1 155 1046 Full nutrition