Chai-Spiced Shortbread Cookies
"These cookies are based on a shortbread recipe, but spiced to taste like a chai tea latte. Don't try to make a substitution for the cardamom - it's essential to the chai taste. Masala chai varies widely by region, brand, and store, so you can play with the spices to get closer to your favorite chai."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients40 m servings 62
Original recipe yields 48 servings (4 dozen 2-inch cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Grind tea into a fine powder using a spice grinder. Mix in cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and pepper.
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl using an electric mixer until creamy. Add the spiced tea mixture and mix thoroughly. Fold in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch pieces with a cookie cutter or knife. Arrange cookies on baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges begin to brown slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- You might try adding almond extract, or using honey instead of sugar (though you'll need more flour).
- Substitute white pepper for the black pepper, if desired.
Per Serving: 62 calories; 3.9 6.2 0.6 10 34 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1