Mom's Huevos Rancheros
"Mom wasn't Mexican, but she could sure cook like she was. This is a delicious brunch dish where eggs are poached in salsa, served on corn tortillas, and topped with cheese, sour cream, and black olives. This recipe would also be good with fresh avocado or guacamole. If you use gluten-free tortillas, which are easy to find, it would be gluten free. Hold the cheese and sour cream and it is dairy free!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients20 m servings 531
Original recipe yields 2 servings
- Combine enchilada sauce, salsa, and corn in a large frying pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add tortillas and simmer until beginning to soften, about 30 seconds. Transfer tortillas to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Crack 1 egg at a time and slide it gently into the sauce in the pan. Spoon a bit of sauce over each egg. Cover the pan and poach eggs to desired doneness, about 3 minutes for soft yolks.
- Place 1 warmed tortilla on a plate. Lift 2 eggs gently from the sauce using a large spoon and place on the tortilla. Spoon extra sauce over eggs and top with grated Colby cheese, sour cream, and olives. Repeat with remaining tortilla, eggs, sauce, and toppings.
- Cook's Notes:
- Feel free to use canned or homemade enchilada sauce. You can swap leftover corn on the cob, cut off the cob, in place of frozen. Monterey Jack cheese can be used instead of Colby.
- For yolks that are more set, poach the eggs for 5 to 10 minutes.
Per Serving: 531 calories; 31 41.8 25.9 371 1561 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1