Babushka's Slow Cooker Root Vegetable and Chicken Stew
4 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients8 h servings 296
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Heat a saute pan over medium-low heat. Cook chicken thighs in batches just until skin starts to brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Don't overcook; the meat should still be pink and raw on the inside. Set chicken aside in a bowl, reserving juices in the pan.
- Saute onion and celery in the pan until turning translucent and browning at the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic to the onion-celery mixture. Sprinkle salt, herbes de Provence, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper on top. Stir and mix vegetables until coated.
- Place 1/2 of the vegetable mixture in a slow cooker. Add 1/2 of the chicken. Layer remaining vegetables and chicken on top. Pour vegetable broth over the mixture in the slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 7 hours, gently stirring every few hours if desired.
- Use tongs to remove chicken from the stew. Let cool. Separate skin and bones from the meat and shred meat. Stir meat back into the slow cooker.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute chicken legs for the thighs if preferred, or use turkey.
- Omit salt for a low-sodium diet. For some heat, add 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1 jalapeno, chopped.
- If cooking for less time or on higher heat, mince the garlic to help it absorb faster into the broth.
Per Serving: 296 calories; 11.8 26.2 21.4 64 756 Full nutrition