Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 188
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Place potato into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and stir. Add carrots, onion, green chile, garlic, turmeric, and ginger. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add mashed potato, cabbage, and tofu and stir again. Add water and cilantro; cook and stir until vegetables are soft and water is dried up, 7 to 8 minutes. Add garam masala and salt and stir well. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, water, and salt together in a bowl. Knead into a ball; continue kneading until dough is very soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Wrap and rest for at least 1 hour.
- Take a knob of dough and roll out into small round, about 4 inches in diameter. Spoon a heaped teaspoon of filling in the center and moisten the edge with a little water. Press edges together, overlapping the top slightly to form a pleat, and continue to create a half-moon shape with little pleats all around the edge. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Fit a large pan with a steamer basket and add about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Add dumplings and steam until swollen and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- For a variation on the filling you can add chopped bok choy, spinach, spring onion, tofu, or if you prefer meat, add minced chicken, beef, or yak as they do in Nepal!
Per Serving: 188 calories; 2.2 36.2 5.8 0 46 Full nutrition