Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 20 m servings 212
Original recipe yields 15 servings (15 empanadas)
- Place flour in a medium bowl. Whisk in sugar and salt. Cut in butter using 2 knives or a pastry cutter. Gently work in cream cheese and sour cream until dough is combined.
- Turn dough out onto your working surface. Quickly gather crumbs together into a square; fold square in half. Flatten dough out into a larger square using a rolling pin; fold in half again. Roll out one more time and fold into thirds, like a letter. Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Mix peaches, 3 tablespoons sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Transfer filling mixture into a strainer over a bowl to drain the excess juices for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll pastry dough onto a floured surface to about 3/8-inch thickness. Cut out 15 to 20 circles about 4- to 6-inches in diameter. Place 2 teaspoons of filling into the middle of each circle. Fold dough in half over the filling and seal edges together with your fingers. Press edges together with the tines of a fork to make a decorative seal, if desired.
- Place empanadas on the prepared baking sheet; brush with egg and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- This empanada dough is sweet so you can stuff it with anything sweet. I love peaches, but I also stuff some with chocolate cream cheese. My mother stuffs hers with sweet potato or pineapple.
- Substitute almond extract for the vanilla extract if desired.
Per Serving: 212 calories; 14.7 17.7 2.5 44 191 Full nutrition