Korean Barbecued Rack of Lamb
"Lamb's subtly sweet gaminess works perfectly with the funky goodness of gochujang chile paste. The salt and sugar content of the simple Korean marinade acts as a brine for the lamb, producing a juicy interior when soaked overnight. In the final stage, the marinade is reduced, doubling as a sauce. I love using rack for this, since it's more tender and easier to work with than leg and a little more user-friendly than chops."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients8 h 50 m servings 421
Original recipe yields 4 servings (2 racks of lamb)
- Combine gochujang, garlic, green onions, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and salt. Whisk marinade until thoroughly combined.
- Trim any excess fat along the surface of lamb. Cut a slash about 1 1/2 inches deep between each rib bone, stopping above the loin. Transfer racks to a zip-top bag. Place bag in a bowl; pour marinade inside. Seal the bag and massage the marinade onto the lamb. Marinate in the refrigerator, turning once or twice, 8 to 24 hours.
- Remove racks of lamb to a plate and return marinade to the fridge. Blot off extra moisture from the fatty side of the lamb. Sprinkle more kosher salt on top.
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Add racks fat side-down and cook until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 125 degrees F (52 degrees C), 12 to 15 minutes more. Plate lamb and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the reserved marinade into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; continue cooking until reduced to a glaze, 1 to 2 minutes more. Brush glaze over the lamb.
You might also like
- Chef's Notes:
- You should find gochujang at any grocery store where the cool kids shop, but if not, it's available online.
- The ingredient amounts below will only allow for a few tablespoons of sauce, once reduced. If you want more, just double the amounts, and save half to add to your reduction.
Per Serving: 421 calories; 30 12.4 24.2 97 1626 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Excellent marinade, and it really did cut down on the gamey flavor. I grilled it over charcoal and finished it in the oven.