Chef John's Romesco Sauce
Ingredients8 h 30 m servings 79
- Turn on a gas stove and roast bell peppers over the open flame until soft and blackened, about 5 minutes per side. Peppers should emit steam when pressed. Transfer peppers to a bowl, cover, and let cool to room temperature.
- Combine oil and garlic in a skillet. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic just starts to turn golden brown, about 3 minutes. Move garlic to a ramekin using a slotted spoon, leaving all the oil in the skillet.
- Toast bread in the oil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Peel peppers under running water. Cut peppers open and remove the seeds. Chop into cubes and transfer to a food processor. Add garlic, bread cubes with oil, almonds, vinegar, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Pulse on and off until sauce is well combined and reaches your desired texture.
- Transfer sauce to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to intensify the flavors, 8 hours to overnight.
- Chef's Note:
- If you don't have a gas stove, roast peppers under the broiler until the skins have blackened and blistered, 5 to 8 minutes. Place blackened peppers into a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow peppers to steam as they cool, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard skins.
Per Serving: 79 calories; 6.9 3.4 1.4 0 91 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
So good! Followed it almost exactly (peppers took longer to blacken but this was also my first time). Ate it on bread with cucumber, feta, and rotisserie chicken for about a week. I will definit...
only used 4 garlic, added a jalepeno and a chipotle/adobo, added some canola to smoothen it