Spanish Garlic Shrimp (Gambas al Ajillo)
Ingredients20 m servings 227
- Slice garlic thinly. Season shrimp with kosher salt and paprika. Mix to coat.
- Heat garlic and oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until garlic starts to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and increase heat to high. Toss and turn shrimp with tongs until starting to curl but still undercooked, about 2 minutes. Pour in sherry. Cook, stirring continuously, until sauce comes up to a boil and shrimp is cooked through, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley with a spoon.
- Chef's Notes:
- Unless you live in a few choice locations, it's rare to find true fresh shrimp at the market. All they do is thaw some frozen, and put it in the case, where it sits until you buy it, which is why it really makes a lot more sense to purchase frozen. To thaw, run cold water into the bowl of frozen shrimp and let it sit for about 10 minutes before draining. Repeat once more.
- Feel free to substitute sherry with white wine plus a pinch of sugar.
- This video shows how to properly devein shrimp.
Per Serving: 227 calories; 15.1 2.5 18.8 173 344 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This was excellent. Take the time to thinly slice the garlic instead of dice it as it makes a difference (especially if you soak up the sauce with a nice crusty bread, which you definitely shou...
Absolutely love this dish! I need to take a photo and post it the next time I make it. Thanks John!