Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients40 m servings 326
Original recipe yields 8 servings (2 1-1/2-pound red snappers)
- Season fish cavities with salt and pepper.
- Cut 1/2 of the lime into wedges and the other 1/2 into thin slices. Fill fish with lime slices, onion, and basil.
- Poke a hole through both sides of the cavity in order to tie it closed. Push a piece of string through the holes using the handle of a spoon. Tie fish shut and trim strings as needed.
- Cut a few shallow slashes in a crosshatch pattern on both sides of the fish. Cover with pesto.
- Blend flour, fennel seeds, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Dredge fish in the mixture.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish. Cover and cook until golden, about 8 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until browned, about 8 minutes more. Remove string and serve with reserved lime wedges.
- Cook's Notes:
- This can be cooked in bacon fat or vegetable oil.
- I used a pesto recipe from this site, but you can buy it premade.
- Editor's Notes:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of flour. The actual amount of flour consumed will vary.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 326 calories; 9 20.3 39.1 65 452 Full nutrition