Cherry Pie a la Mode Ice Cream
2 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients13 h 15 m servings 286
Original recipe yields 16 servings (2 quarts)
- Whisk eggs and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat heavy cream, half-and-half, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved and cream just starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the eggs in a slow stream. Whisk the egg mixture into the remaining cream mixture in the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture just coats the back of a spoon and reaches 175 degrees F (90 degrees C), about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Let cool completely, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Chill ice cream base, covered, 8 hours to overnight. Meanwhile, prepare pie crust squares and cherry pie filling.
- Roll pie crust to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch squares. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry pie crust squares until cooked through and beginning to turn golden. Remove squares from the oil with a slotted spoon or spatula, shaking lightly to discard excess oil, and transfer to bowl of cinnamon-sugar mixture. Stir to coat.
- Transfer coated pie crust squares to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Store in an airtight container until ready to churn ice cream.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Spread cherry pie filling in a single layer and freeze until ready to churn ice cream.
- Freeze base in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Add pie crust pieces and dollops of frozen pie filling, broken off with a spoon, in the last 5 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- This makes a large batch of ice cream. Feel free to cut the recipe in half or freeze in 2 separate batches if necessary for smaller ice cream makers.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 286 calories; 18.4 27.8 2.8 75 87 Full nutrition