4 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 325
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine water, garlic, ginger, and onion in a large stock pot and bring broth base to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain an easy simmer for 40 minutes.
- While broth simmers, fill a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Lower eggs into the water 1 at a time. Cook 7 minutes for barely set yolks. Remove eggs from hot water, run under cold water until cool, and peel. Halve eggs lengthwise, place on a plate, and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil in preparation for cooking noodles. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Use a slotted spoon or long-handled strainer to remove garlic, ginger, and onion from the broth in the stock pot after it has simmered 40 minutes. Discard vegetables. Add soy sauce, sake, chile sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and salt and stir well. Cover stock pot loosely and simmer 10 to 20 minutes more.
- Return simmering water to a boil. Add noodles and return to a boil. Cook noodles uncovered, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender yet firm to the bite, 1 to 3 minutes. Drain and divide noodles between 4 large bowls.
- Add shrimp and scallops to the simmering broth. Cook until opaque, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle finished broth into bowls to barely cover noodles. Add equal amounts of shrimp and 1 scallop to the center of each bowl. Place a portion of bean sprouts on the side of each bowl. Place 2 soft-boiled egg halves, yolks up, resting on noodles in each bowl; keep eggs above the broth. Garnish each bowl with scallions.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Cook the noodles in a separate pot according to package directions. For best noodle texture, be certain broth is finished and ready to serve by the time the noodles are ready.
- Final assembly should happen very quickly. Timing is crucial to present a warm bowl ready to eat. I fumbled this a couple of times before I got it right. Another pair of hands will prove quite helpful.
Per Serving: 325 calories; 10.6 28.3 25.6 233 3656 Full nutrition