Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients20 m servings 291
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Combine egg whites, sugar, water, and cream of tartar in in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Beat at low speed until mixture reaches 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Do not stop beating while checking temperature, otherwise egg whites will overcook. Beat on high speed until mixture reaches 160 degrees F (71 degrees C), 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat and stir in vanilla and black walnut extracts. Beat egg whites to cool on high speed, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place a large dollop of the beaten egg white mixture in a separate bowl. Add butter and beat until well combined. Continue beating in dollops of egg white mixture until all egg white is incorporated and frosting is smooth and fluffy. Use to frost any cake; garnish with black walnuts.
- Cook's Notes:
- Black walnut frosting keeps 6 days in the refrigerator or 6 months frozen.
- This recipe makes enough frosting for a 9-inch 2-layer cake.
Per Serving: 291 calories; 26.3 13.4 2.2 61 182 Full nutrition