Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 334
- Remove corn kernels from cobs and place in a bowl. Scrape 'milk' from cobs into bowl with the kernels. Reserve 1 cob.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, scallions, and garlic; cook until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add corn kernels, corn milk, potatoes, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add milk, broth, and reserved cob. Simmer until potatoes are completely soft and soup is slightly thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard cob.
- Season chowder with cilantro and pepper and serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- Nothing matches the flavor/texture of fresh corn, but you can substitute 2 pounds of frozen corn kernels, thawed.
- Substitute basil for cilantro, if preferred. Substitute plain soy or coconut milk for the milk, if preferred.
- Add cooked salmon, shrimp, or crab to cooked soup for a seafood chowder. Chicken stock can be used instead of vegetarian stock, if you like.
Per Serving: 334 calories; 18 40 8.4 46 176 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Added a bit of cream. Removed about 1/4 of the final soup and used immersion blender to make creamy. Then added that back to the rest of the soup.
I used Italian Basil in place of the cilantro. This was a great recipe. I only changed one herb. Definitely making this again.
This maybe the best soup I've ever had! The fresh corn and subtle tones of garlic and jalapeño made it unique...I'm a sucker for anything with fresh cilantro! YUMMY!