Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 334 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Remove corn kernels from cobs and place in a bowl. Scrape 'milk' from cobs into bowl with the kernels. Reserve 1 cob.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, scallions, and garlic; cook until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add corn kernels, corn milk, potatoes, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add milk, broth, and reserved cob. Simmer until potatoes are completely soft and soup is slightly thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard cob.
- Season chowder with cilantro and pepper and serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- Nothing matches the flavor/texture of fresh corn, but you can substitute 2 pounds of frozen corn kernels, thawed.
- Substitute basil for cilantro, if preferred. Substitute plain soy or coconut milk for the milk, if preferred.
- Add cooked salmon, shrimp, or crab to cooked soup for a seafood chowder. Chicken stock can be used instead of vegetarian stock, if you like.
Per Serving: 334 calories; 18 g fat; 40 g carbohydrates; 8.4 g protein; 46 mg cholesterol; 176 mg sodium. Full nutrition