Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients50 m servings 280 cals
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add rice and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, milk, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Season with pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally so that rice doesn't stick to the pot. Add chicken, stir to combine, and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add more water if the rice absorbs it all before becoming tender.
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir in peas and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Taste and season with more salt to taste. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Place under the broiler and cook until cheese turns golden brown in spots, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- Instead of browning the top, you can just cover the pot after adding the last bit of cheese and set aside for 5 minutes. The steam from the rice will melt the cheese.
Per Serving: 280 calories; 10 g fat; 28.3 g carbohydrates; 18.6 g protein; 54 mg cholesterol; 574 mg sodium. Full nutrition