Authentic Baja-Mexican Street Tacos (Carne Asada)
made it | 0 reviews |
"On weekend getaways from San Diego to the beaches in Ensenada and Rosarito (Baja California), I found my favorite meal in the delicious soft skirt steak tacos sold by the taqueria street vendors. This recipe tastes exactly how I remember them - without having to make the trip across the border. Muy bueno! Top with some freshly squeezed lime juice and spicy salsa if you like."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 155 cals
Original recipe yields 16 servings (16 tacos)
- Combine orange juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne in a large freezer bag. Submerge skirt steaks in the marinade. Seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate, 1 to 8 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Grill the steaks until hot and firm in the center or to your preferred doneness, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a flat work surface and slice as thinly as possible against the grain.
- Heat corn tortillas on the grill or in a microwave. Keep tortillas warm in a folded sheet of aluminum foil covered by a thick towel.
- Add steak to each tortilla and top with white onion and cilantro.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can substitute flank steak for the skirt steak. Feel free to broil the meat instead of grilling it, if you prefer.
- To heat tortillas in the microwave, place them between wet paper towels and microwave for 1 minute. They should become pliable and fragrant. Wet paper towel between batches.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of marinade ingredients. The actual amount of marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 155 calories; 4.3 g fat; 16.9 g carbohydrates; 12.2 g protein; 19 mg cholesterol; 179 mg sodium. Full nutrition