Vegetarian Baked Beans with Vegetables
2 made it | 0 reviews |
"This is a great alternative to 'traditional' baked beans, in that it has a heavy load of vegetables and no meat. Of course, you can use real bacon, if you're not vegetarian. Mashing up some of the beans and returning them to the mix will help keep the beans from being too watery when finished. Serve with sour cream, if you like."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 15 m servings 428
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic. Sprinkle lightly with salt and saute until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, barbeque sauce, molasses, bacon bits, rum, dill, and mustard and stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer sauce 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Pour 1/4 cup beans into a bowl and mash. Pour remaining beans into a casserole dish. Mix mashed beans into the saucepan with the sauce and pour mixture over beans in the casserole dish. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- You can use dry beans you cook yourself, if you wish. I like using canned beans, because it saves a lot of time and makes things easier. You won't be able to tell the difference in this dish.
Per Serving: 428 calories; 7.1 71 15.6 10 748 Full nutrition