Indian Cabbage Patties
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Cabbage can sometimes be boring to work with, so here is a recipe which gives a flavorful twist to the otherwise boring cabbage. This is a recipe from coastal India for pan-fried cabbage patties, where coconut is found in abundance. Passed on from my grandmother, this recipe uses fresh Indian spices and ingredients. Serve with Indian rice or naan bread."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients30 m servings 126
Original recipe yields 20 servings (20 patties)
- Heat a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Place chiles in the pan and toast, turning often, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer toasted chiles to a blender.
- Add coconut, rice flour, gram flour, and tamarind to the blender with the chiles and process to a fine paste. Add a small amount of water if necessary.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over high heat. Add coriander, urad dal, and asafoetida; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Transfer this mixture to the tamarind mixture in the blender. Blend to combine.
- Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl and add tamarind-coriander paste. Stir to combine; season with salt and sugar.
- Heat oil for frying in a large heavy skillet. Spread small portions of cabbage mixture in the hot pan and fry patties until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Cabbage can be replaced with spring onion or spinach.
- Urad dal, known as black lentil, can be found in any Indian store. If you do not have the Indian ingredients, you can skip step 3 (urad dal, coriander seeds, and asafoetida). The patties will still taste delicious.
- This mixture can be baked in the oven instead of pan frying them.
Per Serving: 126 calories; 7.9 13.1 2.2 0 19 Full nutrition