"Though it's a totally unremarkable vegetable, celery produces shockingly delicious frozen treats. Whether you're going for a sweet or savory experience, just try this recipe and you'll see I'm not crazy! The first time I ever had something like this, it was piled over crispy rye breadcrumbs and used to garnish salmon gravlax. The combination of tastes, textures, and temperatures truly was incredible. This would also great with buffalo wings and blue cheese sauce."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 35 m servings 144
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until just starting to simmer. Remove from heat. Cool simple syrup down to room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
- Slice celery into small pieces; transfer to a blender. Add salt, lime juice, and the cooled simple syrup. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a strainer set over the saucepan you used for the syrup. Press mixture through the strainer using a spoon until all the juice has been extracted. Cover and chill juice until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Cover sorbet with plastic wrap, place a plate over the bowl, and freeze until set, about 4 hours.
- Chef's Notes:
- You can substitute lemon juice for the lime if preferred.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can simply use the method highlighted in the strawberry granita video, which will produce something closer in texture to a snow cone, but will be amazing nonetheless.
Per Serving: 144 calories; 0.2 36.8 0.6 0 110 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1