Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients9 h 40 m servings 527 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place beans in a large pot with water to cover. Soak 8 hours to overnight.
- Drain beans and return to pot with 5 cups fresh water. Bring to a boil and simmer until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, onions, and garlic; saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add to the pot with the beans.
- Add spinach, cumin, salt, and pepper to the soup and cook gently, 15 to 30 minutes more.
- Fill blender halfway with soup. Cover and hold lid down with a potholder; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Pour into a pot. Repeat with remaining soup.
- Heat until warm until ready to serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- Fava beans are best if bought without skins on. If they have the skins on them, soak them overnight and boil briefly before removing skins for use in recipe.
- If available, use Egyptian green molokhia in place of spinach
Per Serving: 527 calories; 12.2 g fat; 77.7 g carbohydrates; 31.2 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 84 mg sodium. Full nutrition