Chef John's Chocolate Granola
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 128
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Combine brown sugar, maple syrup, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, salt, cayenne pepper, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Add oats and almonds. Toss and smear the mixture together using a spatula until well coated. Spread mixture evenly over a silicone-lined baking sheet. Watch Now
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Toss granola with a fork, breaking up any clumps to get a finer texture. Continue baking until desired texture is reached, 30 to 60 minutes more. Sprinkle some granola onto a plate; if it clinks, it is ready. Turn off the oven and leave granola inside the oven to dry and cool to room temperature. Watch Now
- Chef's Notes:
- I used Guittard® Cocoa Rouge, a Dutch-process cocoa, which has a lower acidity than regular cocoa.
- If you want a stickier granola, that will more easily clump together, you can up the brown sugar and maple syrup a bit, as I used the bare minimum in this recipe, but I think it's plenty sweet enough, especially if you're a fan of dark chocolate.
- Accessorize this as you see fit. Coconut flakes are an obvious choice, as are other usual suspects like dried fruit, any and all nuts, and assorted seeds.
Per Serving: 128 calories; 5.5 18.4 2.8 0 106 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Amazing, and so easy! I made it with dried coconut the first time, and it was an awesome combo. This has become a go-to recipe, and I’m so glad it showed me how easy granola is!
This with vanilla ice cream is outstanding! You’ve done it again chef great job!
The first granola I ever made and it was very delicious. Just a bit too sweet for my taste, will reduce the amount of sugar and syrup by a litte next time.