Chef John's Chocolate Granola
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 128
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Combine brown sugar, maple syrup, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, salt, cayenne pepper, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Add oats and almonds. Toss and smear the mixture together using a spatula until well coated. Spread mixture evenly over a silicone-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Toss granola with a fork, breaking up any clumps to get a finer texture. Continue baking until desired texture is reached, 30 to 60 minutes more. Sprinkle some granola onto a plate; if it clinks, it is ready. Turn off the oven and leave granola inside the oven to dry and cool to room temperature.
- Chef's Notes:
- I used Guittard® Cocoa Rouge, a Dutch-process cocoa, which has a lower acidity than regular cocoa.
- If you want a stickier granola, that will more easily clump together, you can up the brown sugar and maple syrup a bit, as I used the bare minimum in this recipe, but I think it's plenty sweet enough, especially if you're a fan of dark chocolate.
- Accessorize this as you see fit. Coconut flakes are an obvious choice, as are other usual suspects like dried fruit, any and all nuts, and assorted seeds.
Per Serving: 128 calories; 5.5 18.4 2.8 0 106 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
The first granola I ever made and it was very delicious. Just a bit too sweet for my taste, will reduce the amount of sugar and syrup by a litte next time.
Amazing, and so easy! I made it with dried coconut the first time, and it was an awesome combo. This has become a go-to recipe, and I’m so glad it showed me how easy granola is!
This with vanilla ice cream is outstanding! You’ve done it again chef great job!
This is easy to make and has a great flavor! Makes a great cereal too, I had it with almond milk. Going to have it for breakfast :)
Sooooo yummy!! I didn't have maple syrup on hand (Canadian-I know,very sad.) But I opted for corn syrup instead and it came just as yummy! I added chocolate chunks from the Chipits bagged collec...