Madame Cristo - Grilled Ham and Cheese
Ingredients25 m servings 1527 cals
- Combine egg, heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and lemon zest in a bowl. Mix until batter is thin and runny.
- Toast bread until lightly browned. Add Havarti cheese to each slice. Align ham on top. Bring the two halves of the sandwich together and place into the batter. Flip several times to coat evenly; place on a plate.
- Fill a large saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. In the meantime, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwich in the hot butter until outside is browned and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, reduce saucepan heat to medium-low, pour in vinegar, and keep the water at a gentle simmer. Crack egg into a small bowl then gently slip it into the simmering water, holding the bowl just above the surface of water. Cook until the egg white is firm and the yolk has thickened but is not hard, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer sandwich to a plate and dust with cayenne pepper. Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon, dab on a kitchen towel to remove excess water, and place onto the sandwich. Dust with cayenne pepper.
- Chef's Notes:
- If you're just making one or two, feel free to poach your eggs right before the sandwiches are done, but for larger parties, you'll want to check out this recipe, which shows a great make-ahead method for serving multiple poached eggs at the same time.
- You can substitute milk for the heavy cream, if desired.
- Use any kind of melting cheese you like, such as Gruyere, Swiss, or Cheddar.
Per Serving: 1527 calories; 114.3 g fat; 60.6 g carbohydrates; 67.1 g protein; 743 mg cholesterol; 4132 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I made this without the lemon zest (my husband wouldn’t have eaten it if I had put it in). It was incredibly easy and came out perfect. This will definitely be added to our dinner menu rotation.