Foolproof Swiss Meringue
Ingredients20 m servings 157
- Bring 2 cups of water to a simmer in a medium pot.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Reduce the heat of the pot and place the bowl over the steam. Whisk egg whites lightly until a digital or candy thermometer inserted into the mixture reads 160 degrees F (71 degrees C), 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- Place bowl back onto the stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed until egg whites are cool and stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Mixture should hold peaks effortlessly and start balling up around the whisk attachment while appearing silky, shiny, and pure white.
- Use meringue immediately. It will hold its shape without separating for about a week in the refrigerator.
- Cook's Note:
- To effortlessly cut your piled on, torched meringue pie: Run a sharp knife under hot water, wipe clean, run both sides over butter... repeat before each slice.
Per Serving: 157 calories; 0 37.7 2.7 0 102 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I followed recipe exactly and ended up with some type of meringue pudding wish I could find the recipe I used before.
Wonderful recipe! Goes perfectly with my Lemon meringue pie. No doubt my family's new favorite.
I was looking for a way to use my left over egg whites after making key lime pie. This is the perfect choice to top it with. Mine was still a little grainy when using granulated sugar. I may ...