Linda's Oxtail and Barley Soup
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 15 m servings 332
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute oxtails in the hot oil, turning until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer oxtails to a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add water, bouillon, sazon, parsley, garlic, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 1 hour. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove oxtails to a plate to cool. Skim the grease off the surface of the soup, using a gravy separator if desired. Add potatoes, tomatoes, parsnip, mushrooms, onion, barley, celery, carrot, and bay leaves to the soup. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cut as much meat as possible off the oxtail bones. Add the chopped meat and the bones back to the soup. Simmer for another 20 minutes. Remove bones and bay leaves from the soup before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute beef bouillon granules with 6 bouillon cubes, if desired.
- Another way to remove the fat from the top of the broth is to pour the broth into a bowl or pitcher and put it in the refrigerator so the grease will solidify enough to spoon off the top.
Per Serving: 332 calories; 12 34.1 23.3 63 939 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1