Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients50 m servings 219
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Wash red snapper thoroughly with water and lime juice. Let soak in lime water with 1 teaspoon black pepper in the refrigerator, 10 to 20 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Pat snapper dry with paper towels and lightly coat both sides with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a heavy frying pan until very hot. Deep-fry snapper until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Pour out all but 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Add onion, Scotch bonnet pepper, whole peppercorns, and allspice to the oil in the frying pan. Cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Pour in vinegar and stir until heated through. Add ketchup and simmer for 1 minute. Pour over hot snapper and let soak in. Serve hot or cold.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use frozen red snapper if desired. Thaw before using.
- Use lemon juice in place of lime juice if preferred.
- Substitute 2 tablespoons Scotch bonnet seasoning sauce for the pepper if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 219 calories; 7.3 14.6 24.7 42 784 Full nutrition