made it | 0 reviews |
Deborah Lo Scalzo
"Semifreddo is a classic Italian dessert (semifreddo al caffè) that is as beautiful to look at as it tastes. You can skip the nuts for a nut-free version. Serve the semifreddo with whipped cream, cocoa powder or grated chocolate, and cookie crumbs."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 30 m servings 579
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine coffee and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally so sugar does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks in a heatproof bowl until frothy. Add sweetened coffee 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking vigorously to prevent egg yolks from curdling.
- Place bowl on top of a pot with simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Continue whisking vigorously until mixture thickens and gets creamy, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove bowl from heat and place over a bowl of ice; whisk until cooled. Fold in mascarpone cheese.
- Beat cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir 2 tablespoons of whipped cream into the coffee mixture to thin it out. Fold in remaining cream carefully with a spatula until just combined. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour mixture into 4 serving or ice cream glasses and freeze until firm, at least 5 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- Remove serving glasses from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving, to allow semifreddo to thaw slightly.
Per Serving: 579 calories; 51.9 24.4 7.3 409 58 Full nutrition