Chef John's Strawberry Semifreddo
"My lighter, no-cook adaptation of semifreddo skips the traditional egg custard and cuts down on fat, sugar, and time. It just so happens to be lighter, with a cleaner, more distinct berry flavor and a texture that's less creamy than classic semifreddo, falling somewhere between strawberry ice cream and a strawberry ice pop."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h servings 289
Original recipe yields 10 servings (10 5 1/2-ounce ramekins)
- Line 10 ramekins with plastic wrap and place them onto a baking sheet. Watch Now
- Hull strawberries with the tip of a knife. Place strawberries in a food processor. Add sugar, Greek yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle in a tiny pinch of salt. Pulse on and off to combine; finish pureeing on high until smooth. Watch Now
- Whisk heavy cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add the strawberry puree. Stir and fold with a spatula until most of the major streaks disappear. Fill ramekins 1/4 to 1/8 inch from the top with the strawberry mixture. Tap baking sheet against the counter to settle the tops. Cover ramekins in plastic wrap and freeze until mostly firm, about 1 1/2 hours. Watch Now
- Meanwhile, place cookies in a resealable plastic bag. Seal; crush cookies through with a rolling pin to get 1 1/2 cups of crumbs. Place crumbs into a bowl; add butter and mix well. Watch Now
- Divide the cookie crumb mixture among the ramekins and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Cover again and freeze until completely frozen, about 2 hours. Watch Now
- Toss diced strawberries with sugar in a bowl. Let rest at room temperature until a syrup forms below the strawberries, about 1 hour. Watch Now
- Warm up each ramekin in your hands to help unmold the semifreddo; invert onto a plate. Top with the strawberries in syrup. Thaw for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Watch Now
- Chef's Notes:
- Use any kind of cookies crumbs you prefer or none at all.
- If you have ice pop molds, this mixture would be perfect frozen on a stick.
Per Serving: 289 calories; 21.7 22.9 2.6 71 88 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Delicious, refreshing, easy & no cooking involved! Made ahead, keep in freezer & pull out as we want. Next time, I may reduce the amount of lemon zest or juice as it seemed to overshadow rathe...