Smothered Pork Chops with Bourbon and Mushrooms
"This is a updated version of my mom's pork chops with cream of mushroom soup. I don't care for the canned soup due to the high sodium. I use cream, mushrooms, onions and bourbon along with beef stock to make a sauce that is out of this world. I like to serve this with mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 509
Original recipe yields 4 servings (4 pork chops)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pork chops; cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place browned chops in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Wipe out any residual oil from the pan.
- Melt butter in the same pan over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and sugar. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer mixture until onions are softened, about 10 minutes. Uncover pan and stir the mixture, scraping up browned bits from the bottom. Continue cooking onions for about 3 minutes more.
- Pour bourbon into the onion mixture; cook until mostly evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and cream; bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes; pour over the browned chops in the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the pork reads 145 degrees F (63 degrees C), 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Pork chops can be 8 to 10 ounces each.
Per Serving: 509 calories; 33.4 11.2 32.4 126 472 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This was stunning! I think the sauce could stand the addition of some corn starch to thicken it up, because as written it was a little thin for my tastes, but the flavors were so spectacular tha...